Sunday, August 24, 2008

Beijing Summer Olympics 2008 over

Just finished watching the gold medal game for basketball. Spain put up a good fight and so did Argentina in the last game.

The opening ceremony was freakin' beautiful. I watched it stream live online since NBC had a ten hour tape delay, so they could put in commercials and shit. Then I downloaded an HD copy of it later. It was revealed that the firework footsteps leading to the bird's nest stadium were CG. I couldn't care less. It was 5 seconds of CG fireworks... so what? Not like rest of the fireworks were faked. People freaking out over nothing. The one thing that was kind of messed up was the lip-syncing in the opening ceremony. Apparently, they used a more cute little girl to lip-sync, because the real singer had bad teeth. Yeah, kinda messed up.

I didn't watch everything on TV, but I did pay attention to some swimming, gymnastics, basketball, volleyball and track. That Phelps dude pulled achieved 8 golds, which is amazing. But in the end... it's just swimming. Kitajima of Japan won a few races. I gotta cheer for Japan. Thems my peoples. He later said that he used the Nintendo Wii to train mentally for competition. What a great plug for that crappy system.

I watched gymnastics, because Nastia Liukin is hot. (Thank God for Blogger's autosave. My browser just crashed.) And who could forget this moment. I wonder what she was thinking in the back, LOL. There are some hot chicks in indoor volleyball, too.

Then a guy named Usain Bolt started getting some media attention. Never heard of him, but now I have through all his showboating. But he has the right to, since he broke a few running records.

Man, they did not air any taekwondo on TV at all, but at least it was all available online. None of the famous Lopez family won gold, but they did earn medals. I had to cheer for Korea, since it's their sport. And holy crap at Cuba. He kicks a ref, because he got a DQ for taking a too long injury timeout. Banned for life. What an asshole, but very exciting! I did notice some rule changes and crappy score judging this year compared to Athens in 2004. Out of bounds seemed to be a problem this year and they would get a penalty for going out. They had a lot more room in Athens. About scoring; the WTF said they'd try to come up with an electronic scoring system some how. I'd like to see what they'll come up with. Kinda makes me want to get back into TKD. I'm a blackbelt, but been out of it for years. Overall, TKD was less exciting this year, because there were no knock outs like this.

I also tried to watch some Judo, but when I did... nothing happened. It was a snooze.

In other news, China jails pro-Tibetan protesters as usual.

No comments: